Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Where would we be without maps?

Cartophilia
   The week of November 15-21 is Geography Awareness Week. You can read more about it at this National Geographic website. The theme is "Explore! The Power of Maps!".

   Where would we be without maps? The earliest explorers were the first mapmakers. John Smith spent much of his time in the new world mapping the the Chesapeake area and all the way up to New England. His maps were crucial to those who followed in coming to America. I love maps, I collect them. The term for 'lover of maps' is "cartophile", that's me. I could sit and read a map book for hours. Some days I sit at my computer and just pore over maps of every different sort. And I really dislike letting a GPS tell me where to go. Give me a real map and let me figure out the path.
   This week everyone should take a little time to learn how to read a map, if you don't know already. You never know when it will come in handy!
30 Days Project #23 Something You Love
Los Angeles
Home

No comments: