Thursday, October 1, 2015

The Real "About Me" Page

Self Portrait
   I have decided to write a better "about me" page than the one that is available as part of the blog. I thought I would like to write a longer, more thorough explanation of who I am. Just in case anyone was wondering.
   First things first, the above photo is about as close as you will ever see of a self-portrait. I might post a few photos of myself when I was a small kid, but I refuse to get in front of the camera. No exceptions at all. No "selfies" here. I don't need photos of myself at a place or with a person to prove I was there. I have memories and the photos I take and that is good enough for me.

 Snow in Tennessee Jan 2010 Next I will tell you a little bit about me. Not what I like, but about me personally. I am a 40something(honestly- I've stopped counting) stay at home mom. I have one daughter, a teenager. I do not post photos of her on the internet, nor is she allowed to yet. I don't even mention her real name anywhere, she is simply known as "kiddo" and always will be. I was born in Texas, near Houston, and grew up there. I moved to Tennessee, near Nashville, in 1996. My mom moved here and I followed because I suppose I really needed a change in my life at the time. Went to work at Kroger and met my husband there. I am fairly conservative, I believe in God and the Constitution, I obey traffic laws to the letter and I love police officers.
Home  Now to discuss what makes me "me", my loves and obsessions:


  • STARSIGN: Capricorn
  • FAVE COLOR: Green, Black
  • LUCKY NUMBER: 12
  • MOVIES: O Brother Where Art Thou, Star Wars:A New Hope, History of the World Pt 1, 1776, Monty Python & the Holy Grail, Elephant Man, Gettysburg, Lego Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy
  • BOOKS: any map book, "The Stand" Stephen King, 
  • MUSIC: Beatles(George), Garth Brooks, Chris Gaines, Def Leppard, Duran Duran, some country, no pop music after 1990(I refuse to listen to any new music out there)
  • TV SHOWS: Cops, Aerial America, Sleepy Hollow, Daredevil, Deadwood, X-Files, South Park, CSI(original & with Grissom only), nearly any history show
  • FAVE SPORTS: football, hockey, baseball, 
  • FAVE FOOTBALL TEAMS: Titans, Patriots, Broncos, Falcons, Lions
  • FAVE HOCKEY TEAMS: Predators, Bruins, Avalanche, 
  • FAVE BASEBALL TEAMS: Braves, Astros, Red Sox, Rockies, Tigers
  • FAVE COLLEGE TEAMS: Tennessee, Michigan, Houston, Texas
  • RADIO STATIONS I LISTEN TO: Sports talk, conservative radio
  • ADDICTIONS: World of Warcraft, Dr Pepper, road trips, visiting cemeteries, history, learning, Lego
  • DREAM PLACE TO LIVE: Wyoming, in the middle of nowhere, no neighbors, in the snow
  • FEARS: Heights, flying, bugs, 
  • FAVE FOOD: Mac&Cheese
  • HATED FOOD: quite a few-but especially onions
  • PET PEEVES: Bad drivers, loud music from neighbors
  • FAVE SUPERHERO: Iron Man
  • FAVE ANIMALS: cat, cougar, horse, wolf, meerkat
  • HOW MANY PAIRS OF SHOES DO I OWN: 2
  • TYPICAL BREAKFAST: fruit bar & a diet Dr Pepper
  • FAVE CLOTHES TO WEAR: I only own tshirts & jeans, a hoodie for cold weather
  • JEWELRY?: extremely plain wedding ring, that's all I own
  • MORNING OR NIGHT?: Morning, though it gets harder to wake up as I get older
  • PETS: at the moment, 4 cats
  • TATTOOS?: No thanks
  • FAVE HOLIDAY: Halloween, I love ghost anything, plus it means Fall & Winter are here
  • INTROVERT?: Yes, extremely, and terribly shy. Quite severe social anxiety
  • HOW MANY FRIENDS?: Zero, if you don't count family members
  • RELATED TO ANYONE FAMOUS?: Cousin of the guy who let John Wilkes Booth in the back door
  • COFFEE OR TEA?: Tea, Earl Grey please, I hate coffee
  • FIRST CRUSH?: Anthony Hopkins in "The Elephant Man"
  • FOREIGN LANGUAGES?: A little French, a little Russian
  • WHERE MARRIED?: Justice of the Peace in Sevierville, Tennessee
  • HONEYMOON?: Hiking in the Smoky Mountains, then weekend in a cabin
  • TRAUMATIC LIFE EXPERIENCE: Saw best friend hit and killed by car in 1985
   I have lower than low self esteem. I am certain all of my photos are horrible. But I love to take photos, so if they only ever make me happy, I suppose that's enough. Here are some answers about my photography:
  • FIRST PHOTO TAKEN: I recall being allowed to snap a photo of the fish at a temple on a trip to Hawaii when I was 7
  • FIRST CAMERA: A 110 instamatic, probably around age 10
  • FIRST PHOTO WITH THAT CAMERA: a squirrel at the San Jacinto Monument on a field trip with school
  • FIRST SLR CAMERA: Pentax K1000, 1984, saved up summer job money to buy it
  • FIRST PHOTO WITH THAT CAMERA: A Flock of Seagulls concert, the drummer showed me how to load the film before the show
  • FIRST DIGITAL CAMERA: Fuji FinePix, Christmas 2002
  • FIRST PHOTOS WITH THAT CAMERA: Christmas 
  • FIRST DIGITAL SLR CAMERA: Canon Rebel XTi, May 2008
  • FIRST PHOTOS WITH THAT CAMERA: Birds in the yard
  • CURRENT CAMERA: The same Canon Rebel XTi, same camera for 7 years, only one I have
  • PUBLISHED?: Once in a Civil War magazine. Also have a photo on display at a rest area in Tennessee
   And finally, collections. I like to collect things, lots of things!
  • ON MY DESK: Pop!Vinyls: Tom Brady, Han Solo, Angel(Buffy), Tenth Doctor, Will Riker, Star Lord, Rocket Raccoon
  • HATS: I love ball caps, have dozens of them, including my "Tin Cup Cast & Crew"
  • LEGO: We can't afford very many sets, but I'd say we have a pretty decent collection
  • HOCKEY STUFF: Have hundreds of pucks, dozens of sticks, jerseys, cabinet full of cards. I don't actively collect this anymore and would sell if the price was right. 
Old Burial Hill, Marblehead, Mass
    
   If you have any questions, want to know anything I forgot to cover, please ask either in the comments here or on Twitter @graveskaut !

TL;DR version: we might get along if you are a conservative who loves history, road trips, sports, the United States, roadside America, abandoned places but not trespassing, and cemeteries. :)

1 comment:

Jim'sholyland said...

I am Jim McCutchon, great great grandson of Captain Samuel McCutchon whom you mentioned in your comments about Live Oak Cemetery in The Pass (as we natives call it). I'm not still a native, but I thought you would recognize the nickname. I recently visited Live Osk Cemetery, and I wrote a short piece about my experience when I was attacked by a gravestone. It is humorous. I wasn't really attacked, but you will see why I say so if I can send you what I wrote. Too long for a comment. You say you are shy, so I will understand if you prefer not to send your email address. Mine is jmccutch241@gmail.com.