Saturday, October 3, 2015

Liberty Tour Day 3: Lost in Boston and Seeing Salem

Boston morning traffic
   Bumper to bumper traffic at 6am going in to Boston, of course. Remember, I don't need no stinkin' gps, I got maps and instinct! Take Storrow Drive, sure, that sounds right. Charles River, ooh pretty! There's an exit for Fenway, take that! Oh, not Fenway Park...where are we? Wrong way, take a right at the next street, then another right, then a left, just a few more streets. I think. Yes! There she is, what a beauty!

Fenway Park entrance
   I walked straight over and hugged one of the walls. I love the Red Sox. So many reasons. So much history. And I can't stand the Yankees. It's only natural. We parked along Van Ness and walked all the way around the park. You can't do that with many stadiums. Too many of the newer ones are plopped down in the middle of a giant parking lot. No character. Fenway is so beautiful.
   It is still on my "bucket list" to see a game here, but the Sox were out of town and we didn't really have the time anyway on this trip. But I took so many photos of the old gal.
Yawkey Way
Boston Strong
Fenway Park, Yawkey Way
Fenway Park, looking up to Green Monster
Fenway Park, Home of the Boston Red Sox
    After getting our fill of Fenway, I had planned to go down Boylston, over to Storrow and catch 1A to 90 towards Logan and head northeast to Salem. It didn't quite work out that way. Got to Boylston, no problem. Saw the Boston Marathon finish line. Got weepy. Turned left, got to Storrow. Now mind you, I "drove" this route on Google Street View just to make sure I got it right, wrote down explicit instructions. Yet somehow the signs and some construction threw us completely off. "Sign for Logan, follow that!" turned out to be wrong. It took us right back into downtown.
   Downtown Boston, now I know why people say to park somewhere else and take the T. Reading the Rand McNally and trying to take in all the wonderfulness around us as we attempted to find the right route was a little stressful. But hey, we ended up going by the Boston Common! Photos came out horrible but I was really too busy trying to help hubby find the right road and avoid all the freaking bicycles darting in and out of traffic.
   "Take this road, it should put us on 93 where we can catch 1A". Nope. Back on the Zakim Bridge. Now where? Exited Mystic River Parkway but we are going the wrong way, no place to turn around! Finally we are heading east, toward Revere, and then onto 107 to Lynn. And I am getting sick. Physically. We stop for gas, hubby buys me a Boston hat. Not an actual BoSox hat, but close enough. A few more miles and we are finally in Salem.
Bewitched Statue, Salem, Mass
   Even though I felt horrible, we parked and walked around quite a bit of the town. Beautiful little town, but my goodness was it crowded. Not like Gatlinburg can get I suppose, but the traffic was more than I expected. Traffic on the streets that is, as the historic sites were not really that busy. I still fell as much in love with the town as I expected. I will be doing a more complete post on Salem after I am done with all the days of the trip(same with many other highlights of the trip). For now, just a few photos.
Friendship of Salem
Salem Witch Trials Memorial
The Burying Point, Salem, Mass
Essex St Pedestrian Mall, Salem, Mass
   After leaving downtown Salem, we went to a few of the filming locations for the Disney movie "Hocus Pocus". More on that in a later post.
Hocus Pocus house, Salem, Mass
   We made our way back to Interstate 95 heading north. Our next destination would be a small town in Maine. First we needed lunch and we were quite perplexed to find that there was almost nothing at any of the exits until we were nearly in New Hampshire. Finally found something in Newburyport.
   Tomorrow, New Hampshire, Maine and maybe a lighthouse, and Vermont. I still love you Boston!
Whittier Bridge, Massachusetts

No comments: