Friday, October 2, 2015

Liberty Tour Day 2: New York to Boston

    Finally being "in" New York after having stared at it all day was a little unusual. Just seeing the magnificent skyline felt like being immersed in it. I can't remember a time when I have spent so much time staring at another state without actually being in it. New Jersey and New York made states visited #33 and #34 for me, and that number would jump to 40 before the trip was over. I'm hoping to make 50 before I hit that age, but I'm starting to think Alaska will never happen.
   On to the trip!
Tappen Zee Bridge
   As you can see from the map, we crossed the Tappen Zee Bridge. I have heard so much about this bridge in the last few years. I decided not to tell hubby and kiddo that this is one of the most dangerous bridges in the US until after we had crossed over. As you can see from the photo, they are working to replace the bridge, built in 1955 and designed to only last 50 years. I love bridges and I'm glad to say that I've now been across this one.


  Once across the Hudson River, it was a tangle of interstates to get on to Connecticut. I decided not to take the heavily traveled I-95, instead opting for the Merritt Partway. It was a really nice change, and I really do prefer the road less traveled. The only complaint I had about this route-they could really use more travel plazas, and the ones they have could use more parking! Especially when it seemed half the lot was for electric cars only. Well excuuuuse me, Connecticut. Will take 95 next time.
   The Merritt Parkway does have a really interesting distinction: every overpass has a unique design, and some of them were impressive.
Merritt Parkway Bridge-King Road
Merritt Parkway Bridge-Riverbank Rd
Merritt Parkway Bridge-Comstock Hill Rd
   Once we got past Hartford(and some random nearly complete stoppage of traffic for no apparent reason near downtown), it was back roads towards Providence, Rhode Island. Rhode Island isn't very big. Yeah, that's a big "no duh", smallest state in the US after all. But seriously, we took the bypass around Providence and before I knew it we were in Massachusetts! I think I took maybe two photos in all of Rhode Island-one being the "Welcome" sign!

   Finally being in Massachusetts was, well let's just say it was almost magical. I know that seems weird, but I've been a fan of Boston area sports teams for as long as I can remember and the HISTORY of the area, let's just call that an obsession.
Crazy road sign, Boston of course
   Before we actually got into Boston proper, we absolutely had to stop in Foxboro to visit Gillette Stadium, home of the Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots. Spent an hour in the pro shop just in awe and trying to decide which souvenirs I needed! I almost didn't want to leave. Magical.
Patriot Place at Gillette Stadium
   We left Patriot Place and headed up into Boston. Yes, at around 5pm. Yes, traffic was thick. And I didn't care one little bit. Our motel was in Danvers, which is north of Boston proper. Getting there meant spending extra time going around or extra time in traffic going right through. We just had to go right through because I wanted to see what I could see of the city as soon as possible!
Boston
   There was traffic, but it gave us so much time to really look around at the city(until you get into the tunnel of course). The street names. The signs for places I've dreamed about. Emerging from the tunnel to see the Garden and the huge Bruins sign. Crossing the Zakim Bridge. Seeing the Bunker Hill Monument. Major goosebumps. My love affair with a city I'd never been to is real.
Entering Tip O'Neill Tunnel
  I love you Boston! Even after what happened the next day! Check back tomorrow for our ridiculous attempt at driving around downtown Boston. What an adventure.
 

No comments: