Friday, October 23, 2015

Why Do Places Become Abandoned?

Marrowbone, Kentucky
   I am obsessed with "abandonment". I am not really sure why. One reason may have to do with my love of history. These places were once a place where people lived there lives. Of abandoned stores, they were a place of employment and where all the locals got their essentials. Perhaps they came to the store once a month, and maybe they even brought eggs from their farm to trade for flour and thread. Many stores were also the post office and a place to just hang out, talk to friends and neighbors, learn the town news.

   Before "social media" and the internet, these old stores were the center of life in most towns. Now they sit abandoned. Did the owner die and had no children to continue the business? Did the children move away and want no part of it? Was the building foreclosed and then left to rot by the bank? Did the business shut down due to bigger stores moving in? My intense curiosity and imagination floods my mind every time I see one of these forgotten souls.
Abandoned store, Sevierville, TN
Hunger Games filming location

No comments: