Sunday, October 4, 2015

Liberty Tour Day 3: Maybe See a Lighthouse in Maine

 
   Leaving Salem, Boston and Massachusetts was sad for me. I'm not really sure that I could live there, but I absolutely want to visit that area again and again. But we were on a mission to visit all of the New England states, so on we went. 

   There was not much to see when first going through New Hampshire, basically because you only see a few miles along 95 until you are suddenly in Maine. That's when things got weird. We talked about what we knew about the state of Maine-mainly Stephen King. Just after crossing the border into Maine, this is what we saw...a wall of fog.
Got to Maine, entered The Mist
   The temperature dropped 20 degrees and we were surrounded by "The Mist". It was surreal to say the least. We wanted to visit all of the states in New England, and I chose the perfect place that was only a few miles into Maine, the small town of York. We could stop by the beach, see a historic lighthouse, see the cute little town, and be back on the road towards Vermont in a short amount of time. But then the fog happened. This is what we were greeted with when arriving at the beach:
York Beach, Maine, fog
   We spent a few minutes enjoying the cool, salt air, but we were dressed for 90 degree weather, and it was in the high 60s here! So we moved on to see the lighthouse-though I now knew what that was going to be like. And I wasn't wrong.
Nubble Lighthouse, Maine
   What you can barely see there, just above that little red building, is the Cape Neddick Lighthouse, also known as the Nubble Lighthouse. It was dedicated in 1879. There is a photo of it on the Voyager spacecraft-you know the one that carries images and sounds of Earth far into space. We could barely see it. Really a shame. At least we still had fun watching the locals feed and snap photos of the seagulls. 
Seagull, Cape Neddick, Maine
  It was getting late, and we still had to drive all the way across New Hampshire to our motel for the night in Brattleboro, Vermont. This is the Piscataqua River Bridge along I-95 where you enter back into New Hampshire. See the fog? It vanished on the other side of the bridge. 
I swear. 
Piscataqua River Bridge, NH-ME
   


    I have to admit, I don't remember much about this section of the trip. I still wasn't feeling 100% and it was getting late in the day after a very long and busy day. I remember seeing "Watch for Moose" signs, but we saw no moose. But I honestly cannot remember anything in particular about New Hampshire. Maybe on my next trip to New England(good Lord willing there will be a "next" trip), I will find something interesting to see in that state. 
   It was getting dark by the time we got to Brattleboro, and I will have more on that beautiful little town tomorrow. For now I wanted to leave you with the last photo of the day. This is how an old historic bridge should be replaced. The bridge on the left is the old Chesterfield-Brattleboro bridge. It was built in 1937 over the Concord River, connecting New Hampshire to Vermont. It was replaced in 2003 with the bridge on the right, the United States Navy Seabee Bridge. But instead of being torn down, like most older bridges, it was kept for a walking and bicycle path. I love this. Save history. Please.
This is how you replace an old bridge
  Tomorrow, day 4, beautiful Vermont, lots of history, and the (toll)road home. 

No comments: