Friday, December 18, 2015

I Was a Star Wars Fan

Star Wars sheet set!
   In May of 1977, my family was on one of our annual trips to California to visit family. As we drove down Hollywood Boulevard, seeing the sights, we saw that a new movie was showing at Grauman's Chinese Theater, Star Wars. I recall being excited about it, I also recall being told by my dad that 'it looks stupid, you don't need to see that'. Got back home to Texas, started school a few months later still not having seen the film. A friend told me that I shouldn't see the film because 'it has kissing in it!'(the Luke & Leia scene, really?). But this ten year old still wanted desperately to see the movie.

   My Mom took me, it was at Gulfgate Mall in Houston. I remember that we sat near the back of the theater. I also remember that when the credits stopped rolling, we sat there in awe-and waited for the next showing and watched it again! I was suddenly a 10yr old girl totally in love with Han Solo. Luke was too whiny. And the Dark Side-who roots for bad guys?? I had to have everything Star Wars. Got that special display with all the action figures for Christmas. My life was Star Wars. Those sheets in the photo above? Got those from Grandma on my sister's birthday. This adult woman is STILL using the pillowcase on my main pillow.
   I was less thrilled with Empire Strikes Back-c'mon, don't give Han a LOVE interest and then have him get caught by a lousy bounty hunter! I HATE Boba Fett! Return of the Jedi was better, we got Han back, but ick!Leia. My love of Han of course also crossed over to Indiana Jones. And then to more of Harrison Ford's movies. I had a Han Solo cosplay outfit that I wore to events. Wore it to a party where I got to meet Peter Mayhew(Chewbacca) and Jeremy Bulloch(Boba Fett). If I ever had an obsession while growing up, it was Han Solo.
   But I will not be seeing The Force Awakens. SPOILER, SORT OF... well, not really. I am pretty sure everyone already knows what one of the main plot points is in the new movie. And I won't be watching it. But I might go watch watch A New Hope again. And again. And then maybe put all the Star Wars things I own in a closet.
Yes I like Han Solo
365-139 Han Shot First
Day 4/365-May the 4th Be With You

No comments: