Saturday, January 19, 2013

Gone but not Forgotten

  I am quite obsessed with abandoned buildings. I'm not sure why, or really when it started. I find them eternally sad. When I see an abandoned home I can't help but wonder why and how it got that way. And at times I wish I was really rich so I could save some of the really beautiful old homes that are torn down in the name of "progress". I hate "progress". I don't like I belong in this time period. I know, it's weird and complicated.

  Anyway, here a few of the old homes that I have photographed that have since been completely removed from existence. Sadly.

Old home before
This home was in downtown Smyrna, Tennessee. It was torn down recently to make more parking for a church across the street.

Jenkins House
The Jenkins House was used as a hospital during the Battle of Stones River in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. It was torn down only a few months after I got photos of it in late 2005. They were going to put up a strip mall, but as of now the land still sits empty.

McCulloch House
The McCulloch House, built in 1838, used as the headquarters by Union Lt General William J Hardee during the Battle of Stones River. It had been altered so many times over the years that it hardly resembled the Civil War landmark. In 2006 it was demolished so condos could be built.

Abandoned house
Old home in Blackman, Tennessee, possibly a Batey family residence as there is a cemetery nearby. All that remains is an empty lot and a few outbuildings.

Morton House, Smyrna, TN
Morton House, Smyrna, Tennessee. Land was once owned by Revolutionary War veteran, James B Morton, 1758-1808. I don't know any more details about the home, such as when it was built. It did have an original log portion of the home that was reportedly saved and moved to a Tennessee State Park. This home however was demolished to make way for a new school. The cemetery that was into the woods beyond the house was relocated to the edge of the school property.

1 comment:

Foolish Lego said...

Somewhere inside I seem to feel like that too when I see old houses... or old buildings for that matter. I do some urban photography sometimes to bring out the beauty in it...
Good blog, makes me think...