Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Possible Computer Problems

   My computer is acting up again. I'm not really sure what the problem is, well, because I just don't know that much about computers. The hard drive keeps making noises like it's trying to find something. My external hard drive makes the same noises when I plug it in to back up files. The noises are quite random-they could happen a few minutes apart, or go 30 minutes or an hour before I hear them again. And sometimes it is just one click, and sometimes it is several clicks. The first time I noticed it, the computer locked up completely and was difficult to restart. Did the same thing the next day. It has not completely shut down since then, but every now and then when it happens(as it just did while I was typing the word 'happens'), the computer freezes up for just a few seconds.

  From what I have read on a few tech sites, it sounds like maybe the hard drive is about to crash. I have backed up every possible thing to the external, but of course I am afraid to upload anything new such as new photos taken. And I also have no clue about buying a new hard drive-which seems cheap enough to do-but a new hard drive does not come with Windows and I have no clue about how that works to get that to a new hard drive.

  So in the meantime, until I feel adventurous enough to just see how quickly I can upload new photos and move them to the external, I will be adding many more previously taken photos here.

  And if anyone has any computer advice, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that this comment finds you AFTER the problem has been fixed, but if not, here is my 2 cents worth.

In my experience (both Mac and PC) hard drive clicking is normal except when accompanied by system lock-ups.

I read earlier that you have an old computer. Hard drives are generally only good for 5 years max. Anything beyond that is playing with immanent data loss at any given time. The best digital back-up is CD or DVD. For often accessed files, use a USB flash drive.

It is true that new hard drives are easy to find, but the correct one may not be so easy to find if you don't know what to look for. What is a reliable brand name to buy? Do I need SATA or PATA? What transfer speeds are compatible with my computer? Should I invest in solid state or stick with magnetic drives?

The best thing to do is find a reputable sales/repair shop (and a trusted friend who knows something about computers) and find out what your options are.

Skaut said...

Thanks for the comment. The drive finally gave out and we went with what our shop recommended. And then the last few months have been relatively hectic with a prolonged illness among way too many other things that kept me away. But I do appreciate your comments!