Thursday, January 17, 2013

Los Angeles

I've recently become re-obsessed with Los Angeles/Hollywood and the area. I spent a month reading this thread on the skycraperpage website and everything in it about Los Angeles' history fascinates me. And makes me quite sad that I never paid more attention the times I was there.

 From the roughly the summer of 1967 through 1980, I spent nearly every summer-at least a week or two-in the Los Angeles area visiting family. Of course I don't remember most of those trips, as I was quite small during many of them. We went on quick trips a few more times from 81-83. We spent a week there in February 1986, and another week in October of 1994. I'd love to go back now, with different eyes(through a history buff/photographer's eyes), but I just can't afford a trip like that. I barely get trips up to Nashville these days(20 miles away).

 Anyway, here a few of my favorite scanned photos from those last two trips. They were taken from the perspective of "hey let's get a quick shot of that to remember it by" rather than stopping to take a more artistic view of the place. And many were taken straight from the vehicle we were traveling about in.

Grauman's Chinese Theatre
Graumann's Chinese Theater, Hollywood

Pan Pacific
Pan Pacific Auditorium, off Fairfax, 1986, abandoned-would burn down soon after

Hollywood Cemetery
Hollywood Forever Cemetery, backside of Paramount Studios

Colorado Ave bridge
Colorado Street Bridge, Pasadena

Tail of the Pup
Tail o'the Pup hot dog stand, now gone

Farmers Market
Original clock tower at Farmers Market on Fairfax at 3rd


Dinny Dinosaur near Palm Springs-most famously seen in PeeWee's Big Adventure

No comments: