Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Back Roads on a Cloudy Day

Historic Rockvale Store
   Went out for a solo drive on the back roads of Middle Tennessee last Saturday. I do more scouting for places I want to come back and photograph when I'm out solo for a few hours than I do actual stopping. I am usually too afraid to get out alone or can't find a safe place to pull over. Still got a few interesting pictures.

   The above little building is on the National Register of Historic Places, known as Rockvale Store. This corner store was built in 1884 in Rockvale, Tennessee at the intersection with Versailles Road. In its history it has been the Williams Brothers Grocery, Windrows Grocery, B&W Markets, and Dogwood Junction Antiques and Gifts. It now sits abandoned.
Rockvale Lodge #413 F&AM
   Across from the Rockvale store is the Rockvale Lodge #413 F&AM(Free and Accepted Masons), built in 1934.
Old house in Rockvale
   There are many older buildings and houses in this little community. Some were built back in 1890.
Old home in Rockvale
Boston Church of Christ
   I eventually wound up in Boston. Well, Boston, Tennessee, which is a small community in Williamson County. And I made it home in time to watch the New England Patriots beat the Kansas City Chiefs!
Drink Double Cola
   "Get a Big Lift Drink Double Cola" sign seen on the backside of the little general store in Boston, Davis General Merchandise.
Cabin in the woods
   At one point I ended up on a nearly one-lane road that wound its way along a creek and up and down many hills. Didn't see a single other car for miles and miles. It was beautiful. This is the kind of therapy I need, as often as possible, to recharge my soul.

No comments: