Wednesday, January 6, 2016

National Technology Day-My First Camera

My First Real Camera
    I got one of those 110 cameras for Christmas when I was a kid. But this one was the first real camera I had. I saved up my summer job money when I was 16 and bought it. After checking some Sears catalogs from the time, I must have spent somewhere between $200-$300 for it. A Pentax K1000. Came with the zoom lens and a carrying case. I had no idea how to use it.

    Soon after buying it, I took on the first test run to a concert at Astroworld. Before the concert, my friend and I headed over to the motel across from AW to look for the bands we were going to see. Sure enough, there in the lobby was the drummer of A Flock of Seagulls. I knew he was a photographer who had a K1000, that might have been the reason I chose this one. He asked if we wanted to take photos. I told him it didn't have film in it yet because I had no idea how to load it! He sat down, there in the lobby of this motel, and explained loading film and other things about the camera. Incredible. I'll never forget that moment.

    I wish I still had the photos we took that day. The concert rained out, so I never even got to try it that night. But I used it up until probably around 1998, when my hubby got me a Canon Rebel.

    But I don't do current technology well. I mean, the phone you see below is my current phone. Just got it a few days ago after a 6 year old flip phone finally went kaput. I have no interest in a smartphone, or apps, or a gps, or anything like that. I don't use an e-reader, I like real books. I don't order anything online, I only shop in brick and mortar. I'm not completely a Luddite, I mean I am on the computer(desktop, don't own a laptop). But I think I could easily go "off the grid" if I had too.

   I read about those who are "digital nomads". I absolutely want to be a nomad. The digital part I could live without.

1 comment:

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

Very similar to my first SLR, which was also a Pentax, although not this mode. I went on to a second film Pentax when that one fell off of the back of a moving truck.

I'm on my second digital Pentax SLR now. Great camera. One of the virtues of them is that I can still use my old film lenses with them.